Monday 23 September 2013

Review: Keeping Her

Title: Keeping Her (Losing It #1.5)
Author: Cora Carmack
Publisher: Ebury Digital
Released: 15th August 2013
Rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book came at exactly the right time for me.  I was feeling quite low, and what I really needed was a pick-me-up.  Then I remembered that I had been approved for this that very day, so I started...and I was laughing in minutes.

Keeping Her sees Bliss and Garrick head off to London for Bliss to meet her soon-to-be in-laws.  Of course, this wouldn't be a trademark Cora Carmack book without the mishaps and mayhem, and all its accompanying hilarity.  Bliss being her usual self, put her together with Garrick's parents and you really can't say it's ever boring.  I absolutely love Carmack's portrayal of Bliss.  She's as adorable as ever.  Her clumsiness and awkwardness are charming, but she's also quite intelligent and has a core of strength.  At the same time as retaining Bliss' personality, the author also allowed her some growth, which was wonderful to see.  She seemed to be coming into herself that much more, and helping Garrick keep himself along the way.

Garrick.  My wonderful Garrick.  I know I said I didn't love him in the first book, but I think I'm much closer to that feeling now.  (His POV might, possibly, may be the reason I enjoyed this one more than the other two.)  I could see how much he was worrying about seeing his parents and introducing Bliss.  His obvious love for her was completely endearing.  The relationship between the two of them really seemed to solidify and strengthen, and it was amazing to see.

I wanted something light and funny that would lift me out of my mood, and this did not disappoint.  Instead, it was even better than I expected.  Carmack's writing is such that it leaves a lasting impression - perhaps not the deeper kind that I might usually strive for, but this impression was special in its own right.  This novella is one you want to pick up as soon as possible.

1 comment:

Hello! Please feel free to leave a comment, I love hearing from you all! I read every one and do my best to visit your blog in return. I look forward to hearing your thoughts! :)

Please note that this blog is now an award-free zone. I appreciate the thought, but unfortunately I just don't have the time anymore.