Wednesday 19 September 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (#12)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases we can't wait to get our hands on.  Here's mine for this week!

Title: The Programme (Programme #1)
Author: Suzanna Young
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Released: 30th April 2013

Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone.

With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in.

And The Program is coming for them.


Summary taken from GoodReads

Even though perhaps somewhat depressing, the idea of suicide as an epidemic is an interesting one because usually we associate the word 'epidemic' with a physical illness.  I'm very intrigued to see how the author creates this world and how Sloane copes with consantly being watched.  The fact that she can't even cry has got to be difficult.  I really like that cover too. Despite it's simplicity, it manages to convey emptiness and something close to depair but at the same time you can feel a little bit of hope when you see them holding hands.  I like how the sunny yellow contrasts with the clinical white; just by looking at the cover you can actually get an idea of what this might be about, unlike a lot of covers we see.

I study three subjects that require analysis, OK?  It's a part of me now.  And it could be much worse. :P

So that's what I'm looking forward to!  What about you?

15 comments:

  1. Nice, that book sounds really interesting!

    Here's mine - http://babblingofabookaholic.blogspot.com/2012/09/waiting-on-wednesday5.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This looks great this book! I know what you mean by the depressing element but hopefully Sloane will overcome it with James. James sounds great! ;) Great pick, A!

    What has English done to us. It seems like I have to justify and explain things in depth now. Its catching. LOL!

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I completely agree with your cover analysis! Well said, Aa'Ishah! This definitely sounds like the sort of book I would enjoy. I'm looking forward to meeting Sloanne and James. :)

    Great choice of book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this around and i'm looking forward to it too.

    Check out my WoW.

    Sangita @ Whisper of Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh!! Great pick! I'm really looking forward to this one too!!!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds like a great novel .gr8 wow

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really interesting, great pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I'd be able to get by without crying. I cry so easily. They'd have me locked up in no time. Great pick Aa'Ishah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this in GR but didn't really check it out, now that I've read the blurb it does sounds a very interesting book. For some reason it sort of reminds me of Delirium. Anyhoo, great pick, A. I'm definitely going to add this on my tbr. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooh. Another good pick. I bet this is going to be a hard read which only makes it better! Thanks for sharing, Aa'Ishah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing what you love about the cover! To be honest, I didn't quite like the cover before reading your post but I'm now seeing it in a totally different way :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I have nominated you for a blogger award. check it out here http://theonewithrachelsbook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/nominated-for-one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pick! This book is still a long way from being published though...

    A Sprinkle of Books

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cover analysis is BRILLIANT and I absolutely agree!! 2013 has such a stellar line up of books (seriously, if we don't survive the 2012 Apocalypse, I'm going to be PISSED). I've only read one of Suzanne's novels - A Need So Beautiful - and I really enjoyed it, so I'm very excited to see what she does with this unique premise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book looks AMAZING. I'm with Brodie on this. We damned well better make it through O__O

    SOOOO want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Please feel free to leave a comment, I love hearing from you all! I read every one and do my best to visit your blog in return. I look forward to hearing your thoughts! :)

Please note that this blog is now an award-free zone. I appreciate the thought, but unfortunately I just don't have the time anymore.