Wednesday 17 July 2013

Waiting on Wednesday (#27)


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases we can't wait to get our hands on.

Title: Briar Rose
Author: Jana Oliver
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Released: 12th September 2013

A dark and sexy reimagining of the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale from the author of THE DEMON TRAPPERS.

For Briar Rose, life is anything but a fairy tale. She's stuck in a small town in deepest Georgia with parents who won't let her out of their sight, a bunch of small-minded, gossiping neighbours and an evil ex who's spreading nasty rumours about what she may or may not have done in the back of his car. She's tired of it all, so when, on her sixteenth birthday, her parents tell her that she is cursed and will go to sleep for a hundred years when the clock strikes midnight, she's actually kind of glad to leave it all behind. She says her goodbyes, lies down, and closes her eyes . . . And then she wakes up. Cold, alone and in the middle of the darkest, most twisted fairy tale she could ever have dreamed of. Now Briar must fight her way out of the story that has been created for her, but she can't do it alone. She never believed in handsome princes, but now she's met one her only chance is to put her life in his hands, or there will be no happy ever after and no waking up.


I love my sleep - like, seriously love it, as long as it means I can stay up as late as I want and sleep in as late as I want - so sleeping for a hundred years seemed like an amazing idea at first.  Thinking on it, though, I'd much rather be able to sleep just for a week or two.  I like that this is a Sleeping Beauty retelling, which is really a bonus because as soon as I saw the author it was automatically added to my TBR.  Thank goodness September isn't too far away! (*She says, refusing adamantly to think about studies*)

6 comments:

  1. Sleeping is my second favorite thing to do too after Reading. Haha. But I definitely wouldn't want it to be for a hundred years. Haha! Anyhow, this sounds like something I'd devour fast but I hope this would be a great retelling. Thanks for sharing this. Great pick, A! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful pick Aa'Ishah! I've not had much luck with re-tellings, but this book sounds great! Thanks for putting it on my radar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love Sleeping Beauty. Wonderful pick! I have to add to my TBR list.

    My Friends Are Fiction's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I can't wait to read this either! I love the way Jana Oliver writes, and I'm feeling confident that this one will be good. I already have my copy pre-ordered. :)

    Brilliant pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love new takes on the classic fairy tales and the cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at Sleeping Beauty retelling! I love that story and I especially love the ballet version :) I really want to read this one now - I mean, come on, that gorgeous cover should be enough for anyone to want to pick it up!

    And speaking of sleep, I feel rather sleepy too - it's been a long day *yawns and falls asleep forever at Aa'Ishah's pretty blog*

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Please feel free to leave a comment, I love hearing from you all! I read every one and do my best to visit your blog in return. I look forward to hearing your thoughts! :)

Please note that this blog is now an award-free zone. I appreciate the thought, but unfortunately I just don't have the time anymore.